Thursday, July 17, 2008

they promise me it's not a weed


I asked my fabulous neighbors, as this thing was just a wee sprout, if they thought it was a weed. They said it was not, so I left it alone to grow and become huge. Part of me felt that they were just messing with me. Until I investigated a bit further this evening.

How appropriate is it that a girl who grew up in Kansas has a sunflower growing in her front yard? Bret is trying to get me to plant a ton along the parking strip so it almost creates a wall when they are grown in. I'm content with having a single one come up.

The front needs some attention. We're hoping to get some work done on it this weekend. We've got a few ugly things growing that I know are weeds and we need to get them before they get us.

4 comments:

Jack K. said...

One good thing about weeds, at least they are green. giggle

Sunflowers are quite pretty, but you already knew that. In France, the sunflowers do not grow quite as tall as they do here in Kansas.

Have fun in the yard. I will be working in Manhattan this weekend and next.

bronxbt said...

um... yeah.. i yanked the 2 we had in our front yard. spaced farrr apart, seemed to have no reason or rhyme, so oh well...

hope yours are indeed sunny sunflowers. i'll stick to tulips.

;)

b

Terrie D. (StarSpry) said...

Sunflowers are so pretty! Can't wait to see yours open up :)

Monika said...

I LOVE sunflowers. I tried to plant some in my garden, but I guess the bunnies had other ideas, they or other animals munched the tops off.