Tuesday, January 22, 2008

and the answer is

I chose c. I called 911. I was freaked out. I couldn't hear if there was someone walking upstairs because the furnace was blaring at the end of the hall downstairs.

They came, told me better safe than sorry, said they were happy I had a big, scary sounding dog- she barked crazy style when she saw them flashing their lights into the house and when she saw them standing on the porch, and then offered to come in and make sure the house was secure. I told them there was no need that if someone had been here they would have been flushed out once Josie came upstairs to bark at them. They agreed, but asked a few more times.

The reason I did not just come up with her was she's still dopey. She's on barbiturates. She's not herself yet (although each day we see her returning to her normal self more and more). So I didn't want to put her in that position.

I felt stupid, but at the same time justified. It seriously sounded like someone had dropped in through a window (although all our windows are locked) and I swear (before the furnace kicked on) it sounded like a footstep or two happened right after.

I am amazed that the answer was unanimous and everyone said they'd go up with the dog. Then again, I would have said that too, had it not been me. I'm normally an investigate kind of person. But the adrenaline was kicking, I was shaking and really scared (which I don't ever remember being that scared before). So there we have it. I chose c. call 911.

4 comments:

Jack K. said...

Glad to learn it all worked out. You did the right thing, no doubt about it.

After the fact we can joke about it, but at the time it is a serious situation.

Are you sure you don't want to get into police work? lol

We all knew that Josie, drugged or not, would raise when hell of a racket should a stranger enter the house.

Thanks for the follow-up.

Love ya,

Dad

PlazaJen said...

A barking dog is such a good defense, I'm glad the police reinforced that. (Of course, I still set the alarm when they're all in the house b/c they'd just wanna kiss ya if you broke in). When you're scared, you're scared & I'm glad you got peace of mind and didn't put yourself (or Josie) at risk. Nobody knows until they're in it, what they'll do!

Monika said...

I know how you felt, when you heart "footsteps". When we moved into our house, I got scared a lot. I was home alone during the day. Whenever it was windy, this house moaned and groaned, and very often I heart "footsteps" over my head too, until I learned that it was the wind. I know all the sounds it can make by now, so I'm not worried anymore. And-if there's some noise I don't know, I have to (chicken)dogs, to help me investigate! :o) I'm glad it was nothing.

Unknown said...

I'm glad that it wound up being nothing. My dogs are so barky that if they are my first alert -- if they're quiet, I'm okay. If they were barking, I would've sent them upstairs to check it out. How freaky!