Thursday, April 12, 2007

is love enough?

I have a friend who has just announced that she and her husband of many years are getting a divorce. I will not use their names but it is nobody any of you have met (for my family who reads this) nor is it anyone I have 'met' online.

This friend sent out an email letting us know. She sent it to me a few days after April 1 so I wrote back saying "wasn't april fools day a couple of days ago?" She responded that it was not a joke. I felt a bit betrayed, to tell you the truth, because each time we'd hang out with the two of them everything was fun, light and there was ZERO sign of any turmoil.

We ran into her last night and while Kev was wandering around she and I spoke a little about it all. She said that love wasn't enough.

This confuses me a bit. I mean, I always though love was the basis for marriages and that sometimes the two parties might disagree about things, pick on each other, and what not...but love would still be there. I suppose communication is also key in a healthy relationship and the two people need to be able to communicate with one another, but if you truly love someone, aren't you supposed to want to work things out? Get the help you need to make it work?

Is love enough? Personally, I think it's a good start.

4 comments:

Jack K. said...

Personally, I agree with you.

Relationships aren't always easy, but they are worthwhile.

You have to want to make them work.

Maybe they didn't really have love. Maybe they just thought that they did.

Both parties have to want to make it work. It takes 100% effort on the part of each party to make a go of it.

I'm sorry to learn of their decision. We have to trust it is the best for them.

Love you,

Dad

bronxbt said...

dearest shannykins,
sometimes it jes' isn't enough.

while i'd like to agree with both you and yer father, sometimes people are really good together, jus' not as much as a couple.

and yesh, i thought you're post was referring to wifee and me. oi vey.

Adrianne said...

Love should be enough, as long as both are wanting to work on it. Sometimes though when we think we have found a love that will last the test of time, it was only meant to last a short time. People come into our lives for a reason, a season, or a lifetime, the hardest part is figuring out which is which.

They were in love with each other for a time, even thought it would last a lifetime. Their lifetime only made it a season.

As long as the two people in love remember why they fell in love, and work very diligently on their relationship, it should last a lifetime.

Love you Sis!

Becky said...

As a divorcee, I see both sides of this. I loved my Ex, but there were many things that he did that were wrong and he was unwilling to change them, so I had enough. Granted, though, we were fighting in front of people at the end so I don't think that anyone was surprised.