Monday, June 26, 2006

today, with more heat!

Yesterday was a warm one here in the Pacific Northwest. We hit a high of near 98 I think. Today, will be worse...they are estimating a high of 102.

Our kitchen has recently been taken over by the sun. You see, there were these hedges that ran alongside the south side of the house (the side the sliding door off the kitchen opens up to) and our dear neighbor Larry, decided to lop them off at the top. This isn't a bad thing really, because it does let much more light in our house, and it's nice on regular not hotter than hell days. Yesterday was the straw though. To the Deephole we went.

I'd been speaking of wanting vertical blinds for in the kitchen for sometime now. I want to feel as though I'm not being watched whenever I'm in the kitchen (because two years ago Larry decided to "thin" out the hedges and they are still trying to grow in at spots). So anyway, yesterday was the day to go purchase them and install. I was going to wait until this morning, but if you know me, I can't leave any major, power tool involving, project until tomorrow.

I. Must. Do. It. Now.

So I did. And they are up and they are wonderful. I am hoping that we do notice a difference in how hot the kitchen gets today. Although, today might not be the best day to judge since it's, in theory, an abnormally hot day for us. But you can see, they do make the kitchen nice and dim...

And the animals can still push them aside to see out. They were not the most $$ ones, which is good. They do the job. They just bumped our property value higher? Sigh...

*Update*
It does make a HUGE difference. I am amazed. I mean, thin pieces of vinyl really do hold out the sun and heat. Huh. Who knew?

However, it's really friggin' hot in here and I am ready for tomorrow, when it's supposed to be closer to 85...

2 comments:

bronxbt said...

i think i jes saw a bird spontaneously combust due to the heat... oi vey ... this is nasty.

;(

stay cool you 2... petz too

Adrianne said...

We've been haveing 100+ degree days since about the middle of May. It is amazing how thin little pieces of plastic keep a room so cool. Love the way your kitchen looks.