Thursday, April 27, 2006

voice from the past, kind of

So after Hurricane Katrina I did a little sleuthing (I swear, I need to be a detective for real) and found the address of my first boyfriend, Jeremy. His cousin lived in New Orleans (last I knew) and I wanted to find out if he was okay. I wrote a letter and included my email address, phone number, and street address. About a month or so later I got an email from him saying I had found him. We emailed back and forth (yes, Kevin was aware of the whole operation from the minute I even thought about trying to find him and find out if his family was okay) and then suddenly he was gone again. *poof* out of my life once more. I had hoped we would be able to catch up and I'd be able to find out about his life. I'd learned that he is married, living in Florida, and they have a basset hound named Beauregard (sp). I learned his family was fine and that he was going to have talk with them to see if they would mind him passing along their information. That was the last I had heard.

Yesterday I was getting ready to head up to the yarn shop to get more yarn for the pockets and I saw I'd missed a call. Area code 850. Hmmm, figured it probably wasn't a wrong number and after doing a reverse phone search I saw it was a Florida phone number. I looked at my coworker and said, "the only person I know of in Florida is Jeremy..." As I was leaving, the phone buzzed again, same number.

I answer, knowing who it is before I even get "hello" off of my tongue. It was him. His voice sounded so deep and grown up. I mean he is 31, but still, he'll always be the 15 year old I dated back a million years ago. We chatted briefly, but since I had to go back to work quickly I couldn't really chat long. We discussed talking again over tea.

When Kev got home he seemed happy to know that I had heard from him and found out about Brad, Nancy and his sister Allison. All had been affected by the hurricane. I can't wait to chat again when I can hear him, instead of when I'm standing by a bus stop outside the yarn store.

I still can't get over him sounding like a man.

3 comments:

Jack K. said...

I bet he had a similar feeling thinking of you as woman.

It's great that he wanted to bring you up to date. Give him our regards.

bronxbt said...

that is soooooo cooh.
omgosh! i really don't know what to say except that's very cool you reached out to him to see if he and his possible family, etc were okay from the horrific effects of Katrina.

geez, my first girlfriend? i lost so much after my accident, memory-wise, i couldn't even begin to imagine who she was, or what's happened since. wow. you're lucky. go for tea. make a new friend.

yeah!

shannon said...

Dad- I'll have to ask him if my voice did the same thing for him. I will tell him hello for you.

B- the tea (or coffee in my case) will be shared via phone since we live thousands of miles away from each other. I kind of always knew he'd end up in Florida.