Thursday, April 06, 2006

root toot toot

I look at the new programmable thermostat and say to myself, "there is no way I am going to do that tonight."

Yeah, that didn't work. I am so proud of myself. You see, we had gone to Home Deephole to buy some grass seed and what not. We had been speaking of wanting a digital thermostat that we could program to turn itself lower at night and when we are gone to work. Done and done. It runs on batteries, so I suppose we'll have to keep an eye on it, and get rechargable batteries.

I think Kev might have felt a bit overwhelmed at the idea of switching our old, mercury bubble, thermostat (anyone know where to take that to dispose of?). And taking stuff apart and putting it back together has always been my way of life (right Dad?)..hence we get me doing it tonight. It's just wonderful already. And I can totally tell a difference. It's on, but not as long each time. Sigh.

I haven't told him yet, since he's still at work and it's right around the end of the busy dinner rush. I think I'm going to wait and see if he notices. He's missed things before so we'll see.

Of course, tomorrow is supposed to be up to 70. :) Ah well, such is life.

5 comments:

PlazaJen said...

We love ours. I'm convinced it saves us money, too. Good for you, bein' all handy!

bronxbt said...

being handy is the toughest thing about owning a place. it's sooo easy to take everything apart gleefully like legos and realize afterwards that you have no... idea... where... those... extra "parts" came from once you've reassembled it.

directions, patience, and pretty pictures is the best solution in my book. or a phone book, such as with our current plumbing concerns in the kitchen.

best of luck, and happy thermo-replacing!

eep!

shannon said...

Thanks! It was quite easy to do, really. I think I need to play with the settings though. I don't think we need it to heat in the morning, when he's still in bed and I'm leaving two hours after I get out of bed. Just the evenings, when we are home, do I need it to heat up more.

I agree though, Jen, it DOES save money. How can it not?!?!

And B, handy has never been tough for me. I've always loved building things. In fact, Kev doesn't know this yet, but we are totally going to have a weekend warrior moment soon in the way of building custom shelves in my closet for all my shoes!!! :) Shhhh, don't tell him yet.

k said...

1) good job! we had a programmable in OKC, and I loved it! I should check with the 'lords here and see if we can put one in --it's so much nicer at night here.

2) "Up to 70.." rofl!!!! seriously. that's some funny stuff. :D

Jack K. said...

You werer always an inquisitive child. I'm glad I let you help me work on the car and other family projects.

btw, the wheel barrow is still operational thanks to your mechanical abilities.

As for the old mercury thermostat, perhaps the folks at HD can give you some advice about that. There must be some conservation organization in your town that can help. When all else fails, call the city. There must be an office there that deals with hazardous waste disposal.