Tuesday, April 25, 2006

and charles arrives at work

I was standing there yesterday chatting with a customer about the beautiful day and how I was sad because I wasn't getting to take full advantage of it (you know, being my day off and I was at work and all) and in walked Charles. I looked at him with expecting eyes and he asked, "You really want me to stay?" To which I replied, "Yes, thank you."

I then went and got my eyes examined. Woo, that was fun. I've never had them dilated before, but figured it would be a good idea to have my eye health checked fully (especially since Macular Degeneration runs in my family). She noticed I have a hole in one of my eyes (not sure the part she said it was in...my mind was thinking "hole, a hole? that can't be good!"). She also said something about there being something next to my macula, but not close enough to worry her that it is MD or will turn into MD in the near future. I, however, freaked out a bit (internally) and am now convinced in my adult life I, too, will lose my eye sight (as my Grandma Sam has). I'm trying not to think of it, but still...freaky!

Anyway, so on the bus I go, all dilated and blind. There were some rather annoying riders on this particular bus. When did it become a beauty parlor? One girl was getting a weave put in her hair, and the one doing the weave kept yelling at her son, "JEREMY! STOP!" I'm not sure what he was doing, but according to her it was "gross". I didn't want to stick around and find out.

I get home and Kev is lounging on the couch. He'd just gotten back from taking Josie to the Powell Butte for a nice little walk. She looks happy, although not 100% worn out. We discuss the need for getting food in the house, propane for the grill, and making a CostCo run for the essentials. It was actually the quietest we've ever seen CostCo. Boggled our minds.

And now I sit, waiting to go catch my bus in for my regular work week. I'm going to forget that the little bit of yesterday there even happened so that my mind doesn't have me thinking it is the next day already, like last week.

3 comments:

bronxbt said...

eye dilations rock. due to my normally screwed up body, low platlette counts, low white blood cells and more... last time I had that done I reacted VERY POORLY. I was basically blinded for about 2 hours.

ironically, wifee and i were starved so we ended up eating with me wearing my shades in the restaurant. i could see honestly about 5-10%.. so I could at least tell it was already a DIM place to see in. Amazing experience tho. Wifee told me that my orgainizational tendencies and such paid off, because i immediately kicked in. i organized blindly the location of all utensils based off the length of my hand from the end of the table on up, managed to eat my onion soup by gauging depth with the knife and spooned up food. Then the pork ribs & potatos was fun because i basically stabbed the hell outta each bite, "looking" for bones with my fork.

guess i'll be okay when i finally do go blind with age. hell, i run into enough walls now... my head's hard enough.

;)

Jack K. said...

There are things you can do to prevent or slow down the onset of MD. Check out this site about macular degeneration. You can help yourself with your diet. I hope this site will give you the information you need to give you peace of mind.

It hasn't slowed Grandma Sam down too much. She is still as ornery as ever.

shannon said...

it's funny how we adapt to things.

thanks for the link, dad.