Wednesday, March 01, 2006

you have my socks!

I love working downtown in a large city. There is never a want for good people watching. Usually I can get away with watching and not interacting. Sometimes, they come in. There is one guy who walks by regularly and every once in a while will look in, flash a huge smile and wave like his arm is about to fall off. I can go days without seeing him, sometimes weeks, but then he is back, waving like a maniac. Once he's come in and told me I looked like I could use a hug. Luckily my dear friend Linsel was visiting and I said, "Oh, no, I just got one from my boyfriend." To which the man replied, "Oh, yeah, he's a big guy...next time." That was quite a while ago. Today was the day he decided to walk by right as I was towards the front of the store. He waved, pointed at some pink flip flops in the window and flashed the thumbs up...before walking in.

I said goodbye to the customer who'd just been in and was on her way out when he came in. She flashed me the "good luck" smile. He kept asking how large certain styles went to. "Women's eleven" was always the answer. "Oh, I wish they made them in my size..." Then he found the socks.

him: "Oh you have my socks! It was my birthday not long ago."

me: "Isn't that great. Happy Birthday."

him: "I'm just trying to give my friend ideas as to what she could get me."

me: "Mmhmmm (knowing he was speaking of me)."

him: "You know who I'm talking about, don't you? YOU!"

me: "Well, I can't give socks away for free. I like my job."

him: "You could buy them for me!"

me: "I don't have enough money to, I'm sorry."

him: "Well, I'll be back next....Wednesday. Yeah, I'll see you Wednesday."

I have no doubt that I will not be seeing him next Wednesday. I will probably go weeks again without seeing his big, smiling face walk by my shop.

5 comments:

Persico said...

Pictures... we need pictures of this man.

shannon said...

If I only had a camera phone I could snap a shot of him as he walked by...I can't begin to imagine what would happen if I pulled out a camera and took one of him and have him see me doing so. I think he'd become quite the regular. I'll see what I can do though. :) I AM taking my camera in today...

Anonymous said...

A little on the creepy side, if you ask me. Keep your wits about you.

shannon said...

Totally on the creepy side, Bekah! I watch him like a hawk and always have a phone in my hand if he ventures inside the store. :)

Jack K. said...

Glad to hear that. I was a bit concerned to read about it. Being compassionate is great, but using caution is a good idea too.