Sunday, January 15, 2006

yeah, something like this

I had started writing this long entry yesterday about the random things I feel people should refrain from doing while in public (singing at the top of their lungs, passing gas, etc). It was something I was going to work on and post when the time was right...then I was sitting on the bus riding out to my friends house, listening to Wilco, and the thought hit me. Why not list the wacky and wonderful things people SHOULD do while in public?!? So, here we are...

1. Dance. When you have headphones on and nobody can hear what you are dancing too, dance!

2. Make someone laugh. Say you go into a shop to buy something and the person ringing you up seems to be a bit on the side of blah. Try to make them smile. It's great! Acting like a complete loon is not a horrible thing...

3. Compliment someone. You must be genuine when you do too. If you see someone, for instance you are crossing the street and are both waiting for the light to change, and they have a pretty scarf on...say so. Watch their faces change as they go from the deep contemplation they were in to the joy of knowing they have someone's adoration (at least their scarf, etc, does).

4. Remember we are all human. Sounds simple, but it's easily forgotten. Especially living in the place where I do and the homeless population is quite high. Even if you don't have spare change to give, don't ignore. Make eye contact, treat them with some respect (even though the majority of the street kids here who do "spare change" for a living usually make bank...the down side to that, they are all usually messed up on some kind of drug so...).

So, you all got any? Leave 'em in the comments...

6 comments:

bronxbt said...

most people are too wrapped up in their little lives that they rarely even have anything nice to say, much less take the time to tell someone else.

Kinda sad, actually.

A roommate and I wayyy back in college bought a cardtable (not just for poker nights!) 2 chairs, and about 20 PIES from a local store on Capital Hill.

We made a sign that said 'PROMISE' on it, and gave out free slices of warmed up PIE to anyone who would stop at our booth, and take a moment to compliment the person next to them... (or 'Promise' to compliment someone today about something!)

Made the local Seattle paper, and a few other local rags. TOTALLY COOL, made us feel good, and WE GOT PIE!@

Giggle

PlazaJen said...

I worked with someone who was trying to break her bad habits of being "driven" and work-focused, and she taped a note to her phone (literally) that said, "How are you?" to remind her to ask. The busier I've gotten, the more I notice my desire to skip the question, and yet, I never do. In line at Costco, at work, it's the simplest question & fastest way to connect & show kindness & caring.

I also think everyone should look up at least once when they're outside. It's amazing the minute detail you'll see on buildings, how we can still look for shapes in clouds, remind us we're still just a speck in this big old world....

Adrianne said...

You should put this list on the Serve well site. Making people smile is always fun.

If you ever walk with me for any reason, be prepared to stop and smell the flowers, I walk slowly.

Live fully...

Jack K. said...

Wow!!!

You did it again, and that is no surprise. You have blown me away with such a neat idea. I am impressed with the things the other commenters have made, too. I will be adding something today to one of my other blogs pertaining to this subject and a movie we watched yesterday.

I agree with Adrianne, if you choose to do so, it would make more than nice filler for the Serve Well! Live Fully! blog.

Well the muse is calling and I have a couple of things I need to write and post.

Love,

Dad.

Make it a good one!

Jack K. said...

I finally decided the best place to post the comments were Serve Well! Live Fully!

It seems to fit there best.

Amy said...

I try to smile at people - to atleast show that I am not one of the asshat masses that is so wrapped up in themselves that they can't think of others when they are out and about. I also try to help out old folks with little things - waiting to open a door, putting their groceries in their car if it looks like they are having a hard time. I'm not anything close to Miss Suzy Sunshine, but I have to say that it makes me feel good to do something like that.