Friday, January 13, 2006

it's got beans...AND CORN!

For those of you who know me, you generally know I'm not a fan of soup. Doesn't seem filling, don't like drinking a meal, unless the spoon stands up in it I'm not going to go for it. Broth...no way! But as I get older I realize that I should expand my ways. If a soups ingredient list sounds good, chances are the soup itself will be too.

So, before Kev and I went shopping on Monday, I flipped through my Cooking Light cookbook. I found something that intrigued me. A soup. A Mexican Bean and Corn Soup. Hmmm, should I try it?

I decided that since it's cooler now that a nice, hearty soup sounded pretty good. I liked every single ingredient that was to go into this soup and decided we should go for it. Not only that, but I was going to go ahead and double the recipe from the get go (I know, living life on the edge!). Had planned on just making it for myself one evening this week while Kev was at work because soups do tend to make the easiest leftovers. I got a call yesterday from Kev telling me he was going to get off work early. HOT DAMN! I told him I will make the soup and meet him at home.

Let me tell you, best soup ever. And when it sits overnight, gets even spicier!!!

*I should say that we omitted the lime at the end but added a dollup of sour cream as well as a few sliced black olives.

5 comments:

Jack K. said...

Congratulations!! There is nothing like a good warm, spicy soup on a cold winter's evening. Another advantage is that It can be heated up for almost the rest of the week. Depending on how big the pot is that you begin with.

We look forward to soups this time of year too.

Love,

Dad

Adrianne said...

Soups made in a crock pot are good too. Especially potato soup. I have yet to find a soup that doesn't taste better after setting overnight.

k said...

as rachel ray calls 'em...stoups! Not quite a stew but heartier than a soup. So with you there!
My favourite one to make involves these ingredients:
turkey sausage
black beans
chicken broth
potatoes, carrots, garlic, corn...i.e whatever you've got takin up space in the pantry. It's wunnerful, and true to form for any good soup; it's far better the next day!

Chickie said...

It sounds kinda like what I make called Taco Soup. It is always better the next day!

bronxbt said...

SOUP! I LOVE SOUP! 'Specially when it makes 'ma fork standup! SOUP SOUP! has to have tons of groceries in it tho, or I'm not interested! SOUP SOUP! No pansy-arse campbells will do, nor chunky... but homemade, crock-potting or inna BIG 'OL POT on the stove! WOOT WOOT!

Can I have some? :)

(nonsensical and mildy stoopid comment left by the CAT, not Bronxbt. Once he figured out doorknobs I am so screwed)