Tuesday, January 24, 2006

am i missing something?

I pride myself on being a very low key, no pressure sales girl. When customers walk into my store I generally greet them with a warm hello before letting them look around on their own. After they've looked and I can see they aren't going to their size section I will usually start up a conversation. On Saturday I had a woman absolutely NOT want to talk because she apparently felt I was being pushy and she was "JUST LOOKING" which she told me anytime I said anything.

The exchange:

me: Hello!

freaked out looker: I'm just looking.

me: Okay, let me know if questions...

f.o.l.: (butting in and not letting me finish) I'm really just looking at the moment.

let her look

me: have you been in before?

f.o.l.: No and really, I'M JUST LOOKING.

me: that's fine but just so you know everything is out by size.

f.o.l.: I'M JUST LOOKING.

me: fine, that's great, just look. (there was a hint of annoyance in my voice at that time too)

I wanted to add not to let the door hit her on the ass on her way out, but it's a push door...damn.
_____________________________________________________

Just today I made the offer to a customer that if the stretching we'd done on her shoe hadn't worked to bring it back and we'd send it to Mr. Lee...

customer: Is he over at your Hawthorne store?

me: Yes, but we can mark where you need it stretched and he can take care of it for you.

customer: It's really more convenient for me to come here.

me: Well, like I said we can take it there for you, saving the trouble.

customer: I'm sure it will be fine.

Did I come off as a pushy bitch? Just curious...

Okay, now have to go and update our website with all kinds of goodness.

4 comments:

Jack K. said...

I knew we raised you right. You have finally mastered the art of non-verbal sarcasm. Huzzah!!

You might want to install an electronic device that will allow you to push a button behind the counter and the front door will lock. No! Way to pushy! (Be quiet my devious mind!)

shannon said...

Oh I mastered the art of being subtly bitchy a long time ago...although I think your "nonverbal sarcasm" sounds better. LOL

Things going well and going quickly now. I can hardly believe I only have 3 hours left at work (really it's less than that now).

Anonymous said...

I'd like a button that opens up a hole in the universe and that person gets sucked in and spit out somewhere else - far away from me -when things like that happen.

bronxbt said...

so many stores push the 5 ft or 10 ft rule to damned near accost a customer... asking them if they want help, if they've thought about opening up a charge account, donating a spleen... whatever...

We've become accustomed, as customers to react (most often defensively) when a shopkeeper approaches us, even with the best of intentions.

I personally choose to greet THEM as well, tell them I'm either looking, have a specific purpose, and tell THEM I'll let them know if I need help. I'm a rare one, fer sure... but i've found the employees seems to like it when I don't treat them as monsters. Which, unless they're wearing an apron that says "ASK ME, I LIKE TO HELP!" (shudder) they're not.

You did well.
and the comment about the door being a "push" one almost made coffee come outta my nose.

! B