Wednesday, November 02, 2005

quintessential portland girl, that's me

On the Saturday before Halloween my dear friend Linsel hosted a party at his house (perhaps I mentioned it, perhaps I did not). Anyway, I got the call from his beautiful girlfriend (and my very dear friend) Amanda the night before asking if I would want to come keep her company. She didn't know too many people there and a familiar face would be nice. I said YES. But, it was a costume party and I had to come up with a costume.

I had a few in mind:
1. bringing many different drop dead outfits and having costume changes all night (DIVA).
2. wearing all black with white corded headphones sticking out of my ear and an ipod in my hand (live ipod commercial)...don't have an ipod, so...
3. soccer mom (yeah, no)

So instead I put on my comfortable yoga gear (although the pants were a bit too revealing so I went with my great Trina Turk pants which are glorified yoga pants really) and told people I was the quintessential Portland girl. That raised the following questions:
1. where is your bus pass?
2. where is your coffee cup and/or bottle of water?
3. where is your dog?
4. where is your columbia sportswear jacket?
5. where is your bag of knitting?

And then it hit me... I AM the quintessential Portland girl!! And you know what, I love her!!!

2 comments:

Jack K. said...

Who wouldn't love you/her. I know I do.

Anonymous said...

I liked your costume, but it's funny how in the end you weren't really dressed up, you just went as yourself.

* * *

There's this creepy mannequin in my building that's supposed to be "art" A bad picture of her is here. She stands in one of the big server rooms all by herself. Secretly, I think it's a weird government plan to get more women in computer science.

For halloween, I went dressed as the mannequin. A bad picture of me is here. The trouble was, not many people have seen the mannequin since she's sequestered in a locked room on the 4th floor, so I had to explain my costume a lot. Next year, no obscure costume. That, or I'll carry brochures around with me.

tlc