Wednesday, November 02, 2005

paypal users beware

I got an email claiming to be from PayPal (you know, the whole eBay money guys). Anyway, the email looked all kinds of official, but something didn't sit right. It said an email address had been added to my account. WHAT? I clicked the link, and the page looked all official, but the web address had nothing to do with paypal at all. Fraud? I'm going to guess yes. I did go log into my actual PayPal account and could see that I am the only email on the account.

So, be careful and don't do anything like give out any information if you get an email like the one I got. It is yet another scam by someone who feels they have the right to rip people off. People like that bug the shit out of me...

2 comments:

Jack K. said...

Whenever you get those kinds of email, do NOT click on the web link in the email. You did the right thing. Checking directly with your account holder is the best way.

You can send the email headers and message copied and pasted into a fresh email to this address: reportphishing@antiphishing.org

I get them too and do not answer them. I got one supposedly sent by our bank. It was not. They had already been notified and were grateful to get the information.

Adrianne said...

I get those too. I don't have a paypal account. I even get them from ebay, and I've never bought anything from them, I've only looked. The best thing to do is delete the email, after reporting it, then check your account on the website itself.