Monday, October 31, 2005

holy crap, i knit!



Here is the best shot of my first project (in progress). I'm doing a knit, knit, knit... to knit, purl, knit, purl... to knit, knit, knit...etc. Hence the striped effect. I am not doing anything regular and too patterned. I want it pretty irregular as far as the stripes go.

I simply was going to cast on so my friend Jenn could come over tomorrow and help me, but I just got going and couldn't stop. In fact, it's calling my name again!!!

The yarn is from Manos del Uruguay. It is a pure wool, hand spun and hand dyed. It's rather slubby and wonderful. Jenn's requirement for me for yarn buying was "find yarn you love and that sings to you." I am loving my bamboo needles too.

I'm so damned excited that I am actually knitting!!! Can you believe it? I've wanted to learn for so many years that it just blows my mind knowing that I am actually doing it! I'll post a picture of the scarf when I'm done. So far, no screw ups...knock on wood now!

The reason the photo is not so good is that I've still not charged our camera and this was taken with my new webcam. Not too bad, works in a pinch.

Okay, I'm off to knit more. I want to knock Kev's socks off when he gets home from work (he had to go in for a few hours since Halloween is a hugely busy time for them and he's a good person).

5 comments:

Jack K. said...

How sweet it is. It really looks good. I'm glad to know that you are so excited about it. Keep up the good works.

Love,

Dad

Anonymous said...

Now that you're all into this knitting stuff... a good friend of mine (Gina) crafts her own knitting needles and such and sell them, you can find them here:

http://www.natures-splendor.net/

If you buy anything, be sure to tell her I sent you, because I convinced her to offer a "I know Bekah" discount.

PlazaJen said...

WAY TO GO! You're right, if you had called me, I would have chirped & danced the Dance of Yarn Excitement right along with you. Your stitches look really nice & even, and I'm sooooo impressed with your yarn (Manos!) and way to go with the wood needles - they're the best to learn on. Keep on truckin'! You'll have a scarf in no time! YAY!

Adrianne said...

Good for you Sis! Now when you come to visit we can go yarn hunting!

shannon said...

So Jen, if you come back to read comments as I do on my friends blogs...

My knitting guru here has told me that the ball of yarn I have will not make a very long scarf. The skein was approx 130 yards. Do you have an idea of how long something will be from that many yards? The scarf is already 7 inches wide. :)

I LOVE THIS KNITTING THING!!!! I feel like, where has it been all my life?!?!?!