Tuesday, October 25, 2005

learning to fly

On Saturday night I was to go to my friend Jenn's house to return the steam cleaner, I mean deep cleaner...wait, I really mean glorified vacuum. I got home from work, said hello to Kev (who was sitting on the couch already in his lounge pants) and jumped in the borrowed car and headed over. Not only was I supposed to be returning the borrowed machine, but we were going to have dinner as well as a knit session. I've never known how to knit. This has always felt odd for me, not knowing. Although, I feel like I've always known how to, but have never been shown how to start...

I'm getting ahead of myself though. I show up and there are the most amazing scents emanating from Jenn's kitchen. She made Risoto. So good! There was butternut squash, asparagus, sun dried tomatoes (she'd dried herself)...creamy goodness! As I was pouring our wine (my contribution to the evening) I realized I'd forgotten something. Yes, you guessed it, the cleaner. CRAPDAMMIT! She lives out in Northeast, a good 25 minutes from my house in Southeast, so there was NO going back for it. We devised a plan to have me drop it off the next day (the day of craziness).

We ate glorious food that were flavors new to me. We consumed the bottle of wine, which had been one of the two bottles I got for my birthday (this particular one was from Chloe...she done good!) and then we got to knitting. She is an amazing instructor, she says I'm an incredibly fast learner (remember, I already felt I knew how to, just lacked the instruction). She had me knitting and perling and sent me on my way. I immediately screwed something up when practicing that night and have only picked it up once since. I'm thinking I should take it in with me to work so when she comes in (she takes needed breaks at my store when her work is driving her up the wall) she can tell me what I did wrong. I want to start over, but don't know how to bind this bit off before doing so and I don't want to rip it all out because it's my learning that I will be able to giggle at later.

So, I will take my knitting in with me to see what she says.

Another cool thing is that my new friend (I have to call her red shoe Jen because I now know many many Jens) also knits and told me if I ever have questions and am knitting at work to call her, she too works around the corner. She can give me help as well.

I do feel like I'm learning to fly.

No comments: