Wednesday, October 26, 2005

kitty sneezes

I'm sitting in a quiet room. Just by myself (or so I think) when the smallest of sneezes happen from under the desk. Chloe slinks out and wanders away. I think she was sniffing something that was *ahem* a bit dusty under the desk. Poor thing. I guess I could get rid of the dust bunnies, but her sneezes are so cute and sweet. Unlike Simon's who leaves you needing something to mop yourself off. I've never known a cat to sneeze like Simon. Hell, we don't call him Slimin' for nothing.

It's a rainy day here in Portland. No big surprises there really. The funny thing, people are acting surprised (and annoyed). I remind them that it's towards the end of October and it's the time the rains normally begin. We had such a great summer that I think people are saddened to see it go. I'm ready for a little rain, personally. I'm ready to pull out the warm sweaters and fantastic scarves (which I might try my hand at making...scarves, not sweaters yet). It does make it more difficult to get myself up and motivated in the morning, but soon we will be setting our clocks back and I'll regain some of that morning light. Sunday, October 30. Nice! I love it when it coincides with my day off. I can hardly believe that it is almost the end of October. Time, she flies once you are older.

I remember as a kid thinking that summertime took years to pass. Days, took weeks. It was bliss. Now, I look up and the month has passed, a week...you'll miss it if you blink. However, I try to make my weekends stand still. I figured out how to do that too. By doing things. Getting up early and actually enjoying the time away from work. I have friends who don't understand my lust for getting up early and getting out of the house, be it hiking with Josie and Kevin or running an errand before everyone else is up and out. I just enjoy the quiet that is around on Sunday and Monday mornings. It's like the world is all mine, and those few others I see out and about. We smile at each other with knowing glances. If the others only knew the quiet they were missing...

1 comment:

Jack K. said...

You will come to a time in your life when you will notice without noticing that time is moving on relentlessly. By savoring the moments as you are now that time will be lengthened, or so I believe.

Sneezing cats can be cute. Hell, cats are just cute. It is in their genes. Although there is an exception to that in a cat owned (served) by our neighbors. It is a scruffy calico. She visited this morning and sat on the hot tub. Hazel saw her and let her know something. I think it was a welcome, but I'm not sure.

We will be replacing the wood with an aluminum fence. It will have pickets, and if I can find the web site again I will send it to you.

Enjoy the quiet of the day.

Love,

Dad