Monday, September 05, 2005

it's a gift

Plaza Jen is not the only person to question my ability to paint an entire room and have it back together (I almost wrote normal...ha!) the same day. All I can say, really, is....it's a gift.

When we first moved to Portland FIVE years ago we unloaded the big Ryder truck and I immediately started putting things away and organizing. One week (or was it two?) later we had friends drive down from Seattle. Megan walked in and said, "It looks like you have lived here forever! Where are the boxes, we really expected boxes." I laughed because I really wouldn't have been comfortable had there actually been boxes still laying around.

I think that is what spurs me into getting things done quickly. I am uncomfortable when my life is surrounded by chaos (that is what clutter is to me) and so I have to rectify that. However, there are times when I get lulled into a sense of "does it really matter in the grand scheme of things if Kev's socks are still sitting on the coffee table?" and I allow myself glimpses into slobdome. I much prefer to have a clean house that is always picked up and ready for friends to drop by at any time, but I live in the real world and have three animals who drop fur like mad. I enjoy my life and picking up after them and Kev, not fun(although I must say that the hair laying around from our trio, doesn't bother me as much as the mail from the past week sitting, waiting to be recycled).

After painting a room though, things will be put back quickly. Things will be cleaned. The room will never NEVER look like that again! :)

5 comments:

Persico said...

I should have looked you up when I lived out in Portland and hired your services. I could have paid you in double shot lattes.

My place could have always been clean!

Bleh

shannon said...

Shari~

Yeah, funny thing about that is, it only works for my space...I've been "hired" by friends to clean for them before and even though I do a good job, I really HATE cleaning so the job never lasted more than a few times of cleaning.

I do like your payment idea though. :)

Jack K. said...

You are your mother's daughter. She is proud of your accomplishments. Keep up the good works.

Love,

Dad

FemaleCSGradStudent said...

It's a classic characteristic of us libras; that we cannot live in chaos. I, too, have the move-into-a-house-and-in-five-days-there-are no-boxes skills.

Adrianne said...

How do you live without boxes? We have been in this house for five years and still have boxes, of course they are in closets and the shed in the back. Boxes are our friend.

Love you.