Tuesday, August 30, 2005

three drowned rats

Well, yesterday was Monday, aka Hikeday. We knew that we would be seeing some rain, or at least drizzle, so we left the camera at home. Don't want to destroy our favorite toy!

We get to Angel's Rest (it's the 1500' gain in elevation, 5 miles round trip loop we take) and start up...it starts to rain. We hang out under the trees for a while with the thought it would stop soon. A few minutes later it did and we pressed on. It drizzled off and on for the entire hike. We got almost to the top and decided that we were going to turn around, I know, why turn around when almost there? I was hungry, had to pee, Kev was done too. Plus we'd been to the top of Angel's Rest a dozen times and didn't fancy getting stuck up there if it possibly rained again.

On our way down we spoke of Gumby (Kevin's...ahem...Nitendog), who we'd left at home. She's really too small yet to enjoy the hikes...LOL

We were very close to the end when the sky opened up and took a large dump on our heads. Prior to leaving the house I told Kev to grab himself a dry tee shirt. I had a jacket on and it kept my tank rather dry. He was glad we had thought to bring it along. We were soaked through just about. Josie ran to the car, the button to unlock the car on Kev's key chain was not working all that well and instead of unlocking the door with the key and clicking the button inside, he kept jamming on the key chain button. Joy. Finally, it worked and he flung open Josie's door. Josie, pack and all, jumped into the car and shook. I ran around to the passenger side and jumped in myself, thoroughly wet. The tank did stay somewhat dry, but my yoga pants didn't fare so well. :)

Needless to say, we had a blast!!! The temperature was perfect and even the drizzle (before the sky opened up) felt great on our hike down. Josie had a blast and is now sacked out on the rug in the living room.

We have just returned from having a late lunch and I'm already in my pj's. No going anywhere tonight for me!!! I might just turn off my phone too...nah... :)

Can we say in bed by 9:00?

No comments: