Friday, July 29, 2005

immediate gratification

We sadly live in a world where people are of the "now" mentality. I, too, have fallen into this behavior. I haven't felt that way in a while, perhaps as I continue down the road of becoming the best me I can be I will never have that feeling again. Also, I hope, I may stop feeling the sense of annoyance when others become demanding and "now" about things. But for today, I will be annoyed... :)

Case in point:

Got a pair of shoes back from a customer. They were an 8, she was a size 9.5. My question to her when she called about returning them was "did Jessica try calling the other stores?" Her response, "no, she was adamant about this being the only pair..." When I questioned Jessica about it she said the woman was in a hurry and didn't have time for her to look, but that she offered (which was what I figured already). We have received the sandals back and they are second in the folder of returns. Our policy is when items are shipped back to us to be returned we will do the returns in order of the arrival back to the store and we have 30 days do make said return. This customer just called saying, "I sent the shoes back and you have to return the money to my card, now." I lied and said she was next in the folder and it should be able to be done today. I will do it today, moving her ahead of one other return (which we had only gotten a day or two ahead of hers). I know that I have rewarded her behavior by giving in to her demand of getting the return "now" but I didn't want to have to deal with her any longer.

I wish you all patience and happiness.

2 comments:

k said...

There is something about retail that brings out the beast in people. True on many many occasions: I'll be walking through the store with merchandise in my arms (the other day it was quite a large, albeit lightweight, piece of outdoor furniture), talking with another customer--in person or on the phone--clearly busy and some crazy customer will walk up to me and say "can you help me....". It's one thing for them to say "when you have a second, I have a question" or something of that nature, but these folks expect your full attention NOW. I don't understand how people grow to be so self centered that they can't a) see that I'm helping someone else or b) wait just a few minutes for me to finish up. *sigh*

/vent :D

Jack K. said...

Ah the fruits of the "instant gratification" generationS. We are getting so acculturated to getting our way immediately that we have forgotten about being courteous.

It is really difficult to keep our cool when confronted with a demanding person. In retail they act as if they need to be a squeaky wheel so they can get appeased.

I wonder what would happen if we just changed the script slightly? I wonder if she would have been any less demanding if we acknowledged her frustration? I wonder if she was frustrated about something else other than the shoes?

I wonder what would have happened if Kerri had asked the person to hold the chair so that she could get a not pad to make notes about that customer's demands? I wonder if I even understand the psyche of anyone, including me?

I only hope that you all sort this out and contimue to serve well.

Love,

Dad