Tuesday, June 28, 2005

one wacky night

So at about 1:00 this morning I notice Kev's not in bed. I hear the dog barking up front and think to myself, "Hmmm, I hope he's not collapsed over the keyboard." Yes, this is truly the way my mind works when I wake in the middle of the night to a barking dog and an empty bed.

I get up and go out front. He's at the computer, fully awake and aware.

"What's she barking at?"

"Oh, some drunk guy outside...I'm hoping he'll just go away."

I go back to bed, Josie comes with and minutes later Kev joins us too. I get some sleep, although it doesn't feel like much when I hear Josie "Ooof oooof oooof" I also hear voices (not THOSE, but ones coming from in front of my house!!). I get up to investigate and find two people standing in front of the neighbor's house to our left (yes, that would be Larry with his two barking dogs...who were silent last night) looking at his house and yelling. I figure Larry has already made contact with the police and go back to bed.

Josie's barking becomes more urgent and she's pulling the Lassie going to get mom because Timmy has fallen into the well routine. She comes back to my side of the bed, since clearly I'm the one who is going to get up and look again. I figure I should take a look and make sure they are not trying to break into the house or our car. They've now made their way to the edge of our property and are yelling back down the street. I can't tell if it's two guys or a guy and a girl. Are they fighting with each other? I look online and find what I think is the non-emergency line for the Po Po (yes, it really is what the Portland Police are called). I get "This is Gerry." I feel like crap, have I woken this poor man? I called the number I found online for non-emergencies! I tell him I'm needing to call someone to report people disturbing my peace. He gives me the correct number...

"Umm, yeah, there are two people standing outside my house yelling and my dog has alerted me that I need to call and ask for a squad car to drive through our neighborhood."

"Is it drunken yelling or fighting?"

"I'm pretty sure it's fighting."

"I need to know for sure which it is."

"Okay, fighting..." what, I'm going to stick my head out the door and ask, 'umm, excuse me, are you two trying to instigate a fight with someone in my neighborhood or just wasted off your asses?!?!'

"What's your address?"

I tell her.

"It looks like there is already another call in about this. Someone will be there soon."

YEA!!! Moments later the Po Po show up and in the light of their headlamps I see it is a man and a woman. She's in her pj bottoms and a big poofy winter coat and her hair is dyed bright freaking pink. He's thin and lanky wearing baggy clothes and that's all I got.

I go back to bed and look at the clock. It reads 4:00. Ugh, now I'm supposed to go to work and reformat my hard drive? Yeah, that's another story all unto its own.

2 comments:

Jack K. said...

Wow!! An exciting night. Too bad you couldn't have arranged that for our visit. Although there was a minor amount of yelling from the other side of your house while we were there. It happened about 0600. Someone from the house was telling some man to go away. He did.

However, when there is a row going on outside of your house, you might want to call 911. You never can tell when it will escalate into something very dangerous. Let the cops figure it out. Who knows one of them might have had a weapon and decided to use it.

Sorry you lost sleep over it.

Love,

Dad

PlazaJen said...

I think it's funny that they didn't notice your dog told you to call. :)
Glad it wasn't anything worse tho! Our dogs are on HIGH alert right now, what with all the firecrackers. They think we're under siege & barking is the only appropriate response.....