Friday, July 25, 2008

it's a luxury

It is exactly 9:19 pm as I start writing this. I am already in bed. There is light still hanging on, over the trees. My mind flashes back to when I was a kid and my sister and I would be complaining of how unfair it was to have to go to bed when there was still light in the sky and the kids down the street got to stay out...blah blah blah.

The look on their faces as they told us to pack it in and head to bed.

I think they were looking for a time to connect, without us, as well as teaching us that it truly is a luxury to get to go to bed early. We didn't believe it then, but I believe it now.

How luxurious is it to be lying in bed while the sounds of pots and pans being washed in the kitchen ring through the air? Extremely.

How decadent is it to read at night, the breeze blowing in the window, and absolutely no animals on bed with me? Thoroughly.

1 comment:

Jack K. said...

How wonderful it is to have the opportunity to be able to do what you are doing.

Enjoy the moment. But you already know that. tee hee

Love,

Dad