Thursday, May 10, 2007

there are times

On Tuesday this week my coworker and I were talking about when I could cover for her (she's working Saturday for me so I can hang with the 'rents). She asked if I could possibly work this Thursday (today) but she also said she knew it was last minute, but she was just tired. She works two jobs, and doesn't normally have one full day off from both at the same time.

I had originally told her that I needed to get ready for the family who are coming to visit. I started thinking about this yesterday and realized that I was being selfish. I can clean in the evenings. I'm not exhausted like she is. I don't have to work two jobs. I get days off where I can do nothing at all if I like.

I called Chas yesterday to tell him I'd be working the floor today at our new store. Of course he answered the phone "Aren't you supposed to be off today?!" And when I told him of my plan he said no problem.

When I called my coworker yesterday to tell her she was absolutely surprised. She was so happy. I could feel the weight lift off her shoulders.

1 comment:

Becky said...

I'm sure she really appreciated it -- I can't imagine having to work two jobs and not having a full day off. I get exhausted from my one job.