Tuesday, June 20, 2006

what is wrong here?

I rather enjoy ironing. Men's dress shirts to be exact. I have an amazing Rowenta iron. We buy Kev Kenneth Cole shirts. Yet, we have a crap ass ironing board. WHY?!?

I know, I must sound either nuts or I don't know what, when you read that. But there is something about the iron sliding over the crisp cotton of a really well made shirt. First you have to spray it with a medium starch and let it sit for about 10 minutes. Then, when you iron it...perfection.

I learned how to iron when I was a little girl. Mom and I would be in the laundry room on Sunday mornings working on Dad's shirts for the week. She first had me start on his handkerchiefs. I really enjoyed those. Eventually I worked my way up to shirts. She said I had more patience than my sister did when it came to ironing. I think I still do. I'm pretty sure she takes her things to a dry cleaner to have them cleaned and pressed. I prefer to wash them and iron them myself. It brings me an odd satisfaction.

This weekend, we buy me a new ironing board.