Thursday, May 18, 2006

a bit about mamasita

It's the second day of Kev's new job. He's already left. It's been rather nice, having him home in the evenings, and it's not even been a full week yet. Next week he will be heading to Texas for training. I think he is excited because he gets to spend some time with his Mama.

Speaking of Mamasita...

Many years ago, just a mere two weeks after Kev and I started dating, Mamasita was getting remarried. Kev left Kansas to drive to Chicago and we had a rather tearful goodbye (well, I was teary). That night, when he called me to say he'd gotten there, he also said, "I wish you were here too." And the grand idea to fly one way to Chicago for the weekend was born.

I walked into Mamasita's home and there she is in tears. I had to pee so damn badly because with the excitement of seeing Kev after a whole 24 hours of not seeing him, I didn't have time to waste on going to the toilet when still in the airport. I also had no clue how long a drive it'd be to her home. I ducked into the powder room, which was right outside the kitchen, and I hear her crying and saying, "What a great first impression I must be giving her...here I am in tears..." Or something like that.

I came out of the powder room a thousand times happier and now was ready to meet Mamasita, tears and all. It seemed as though there were some issues surrounding a little boy and his being crazy at the rehearsal picnic. This little boy was (still is) her soon to be husband's little boy. He has Down Syndrome. I don't think he really knew what was going on, other than there were a ton of people and people are great!!!! She said that she hoped the next day would prove to be better and he would be calmer.

He was. I made sure that he was attended to and played with and smooched on and he didn't leave my side until we got to the reception where he played with the other kids, all the cousins. I remember the words, "You are an angel" coming from her mouth. It really wasn't more than me playing with her new step son, but for her it was much more.

I loved her from the moment I met her. I wanted her day to be the best day she could ever have. I'm glad that I could be part of it and accepted so quickly. I love you, Mamasita!

2 comments:

stacy said...

Man Kev's new job is really opening up some great stuff for him! I am so excited for you guys I can't wait to check the blog and list everyday to see what has happened to Kev today hehee! Still think we need a pic of the "new" Kev! Oh and I hope he has a great time with mamasita and what a GREAT story about the mamasita you are one special person Shanny! Thanks for coming into my life it is definately brighter now!

bronxbt said...

oooooh shannny! you are sooo sweet and adorable and full of huggable goodness!

EEP!
Kev is a helluva lucky guy, and so are all of us for having you in our lives in whatever fashion we're afforded.

LDH!

B & Wifee & mr puddins

PS... Word verification: bofoha
dunno what that is but it sounds terrifying. Is that what a laughing buffalo sounds like?