Friday, March 24, 2006

in which i talk a lot of knitting

It's really funny once someone learns how to knit. In this story, that someone is ME.

You start asking random people if they made the hat they are wearing because you think it is really cool and want to take notes of what they've done. I could totally tell she did even before she answered because the look of pride that flashed to her face.

Then, they tell you that they will take photos of knit things they like, so that later on, attempts to recreate can happen. The memory of "I brought my camera today!" sprang to mind. So you ask her if she minds...



And she doesn't.

I totally want to try making this with a ball of yarn that has no project. I always thought it'd be a small beanie type hat, but not until I saw that girl's hat did I realize how it'd be done. So cute!!!

Oh, I suppose I should share the mohair creation I have named the *ahem* "Effing" Scarf. I should preface this image with this: mohair is not fun to work with for me (perhaps I have mentioned this before). Little bits of fluff fly through the air and get stuck all over everything. It snags on itself. I could go on. HOWEVER, I love the way this scarf turned out and it was worth every! single! minute!

6 comments:

Jack K. said...

Whle it may go without saying, I will say it anyway, YOU DO VERY GOOD WORK.

It gives one a very warm feeling to bask in the glow of someone who has done something important and someone else notices it. They then have a chance to share their joy of their work.

The effing scarf looks fantastic. Just think, last year you couldn't have imagined you could do something like that, much less, that beautiful.

Good going, girl.

Love, Dad

Persico said...

My name is Shannon, I make amazingly beautiful things by means of knitting. I will strike a tidbit of envy in Shari because it's a secret passion of hers.

That said, rockin' scarf. (I enjoyed that girls hat as well.)

PlazaJen said...

It's very pretty, the "Effing".... and I keep finding myself caressing mohair at the yarn shops, to stop myself & screech, "But I hate mohair!!!" and besides, I have enough of it at home from not resisting that voice. It's just not smooth knitting. Plus it's itchy. I must just love it for its haze.
Have fun with the hat!

shannon said...

Thanks Dad, what do you think the Effing stands for? Fantastic! :) Yeah, right....grumble. Hah!

Shari, like I said, come to Portland and learn how to knit!

Jen, yeah, I've actually done remarkably well with the not stock piling yarn. I don't know how much longer I am going to be able to hold out though...

Anonymous said...

GREAT job Shanny!!! The "effing thing" is Beeeyoutiful! As I've told you before - you sure "got good" at this knitting thing quickly!

As to stock piling yarn - having a stash - shouldn't be long before you're right there with the rest of us "yarnies" LOL; Its a disease called YAS - yarn acquisition syndrome! LOL - and the next phase is PAS - pattern acquisition syndrome!

You go girl.........keep those creative juices flowing!

Ginny

Jack K. said...

abso-effing-lutely