Tuesday, February 07, 2006

it's about kitty constipation

Last night as we were sitting around trying to figure out what we wanted to eat for dinner we heard this sound come from the kitchen. Well, I heard it. Kev was enthralled with some random video/computer game/website/I have no clue what he was looking at, but it involved the computer.

I get up and rush into the kitchen. The only other time we've heard this deep wailing was when we ended up taking poor Simon to the emergency vet to get an enema. Although an unpleasant experience for the little guy the vet said he acted like a champ and wished all cats she saw were like him. Back to last night...

It was Simon again. If you touched him around his head he was fine, as you stroked his back and got towards his bottom, he wailed. Great, he's impacted again and would most likely need to get another enema. I call our regular vet who can hear him in the background. They are just closing up shop, but instruct me to get him to the Southeast Emergency Vet.

I'm there. I'm loading up the car and am halfway there, at least in my mind. My only boy is in pain and I want to make it stop. Kev, a bit more level headed (which I can only say now in hindsight) says we should wait and see if it passes...literally. Simon doesn't look all that thrilled with life and my heart breaks.

We wait around. I clean out the box (for some reason this makes him feel the need to go use it every time I do it!) even though it is clean already. A little while later, after Simon has stopped with the sounds of "damn, I am really uncomfortable here people" I go into the bathroom and see someone has pooped. It's a bit odd. I go in for a closer look. Yep, there is something foreign in there. Almost plant like in it's look.

By this time Simon is acting like himself again and you can pet him without him looking like he really is going to turn and take your arm off. Not that I think he would, but...there was a look he gave that made me nervous.

This morning he's acting a bit better, however when I went into the bathroom to get ready for the day he was squatting in the potty box. He was there almost the entire time I was in the shower. There was evidence of poop, and this time it looked normal. Poor little kitty tushie. I'm sure it can't feel good for the little guy to go now...

Today Kev will keep an eye on him and make sure he doesn't have another issue pop up. If he starts the wailing again, I will be putting my foot down and telling Kev we have to get him to the vet so he can have an enema...

5 comments:

FemaleCSGradStudent said...

This post made my butt cheeks clench. I hope Simon is feeling better today.

Jack K. said...

Tell Simon we were sorry to hear of his discomfort. Hazel sends her best wishes too.

bronxbt said...

mr puddins has had his share of the impacted issues. could be because he's eaten an entire volkswagon bus in one sitting.. but hey, who am I to judge.

if it happens too often, he could be getting those crystalline thingees too inside.. (forgot the medical verbage, but wifee's called them butt-diamonds)

get that checked.

shannon said...

Bronxbt- it's been over a year and a half since the last time so I'm not quite worried about that...

I will keep a close eye on him though and if it is something that happens sooner than later (or again really) I'll get him into our vet.

k said...

update!? how's the little man? I'm so happy that our mutts don't go in for the enema deal. when they can't poop. they just barf it up. h'ray!