Thursday, February 16, 2006

because I'M the problem with today's society...

I was standing at the counter, helping Mary take her new purple clogs home. Ringing her up and ever so happy that we could find them at one of our other stores. There is another woman checking out her size section and a third woman with her daughter who is probably close to 10 years old wandering around as well.

The door slams open.

A "white woman in her thirties" bursts in and sets her plastic bags down with a lovely production. They must have weighed at least thirty pounds each by the sound she emits. She starts rustling around in the bag. She pulls out two pairs of shoes.

I am in the middle of the transaction with Mary so I say, "oh, some repair to drop off?" as they were NOT from our store.

"NO! I have to return these."

"Not here, we don't carry that brand."

"Well," huff, "do you know who does?" she says with another huff.

"No, I don't. Sorry."

"Well, what about these? Did THESE come from here?" she pulls out something else.

"No, they didn't and I don't know where they might have come from either."

Now she gets loud as she starts saying, "WELL DO YOU KNOW WHERE A WHITE WOMAN IN HER THIRTIES WHO IS TRYING TO MAKE MONEY SO SHE CAN HELP WITH GRAMMA'S HEAT MAKE SOME MONEY?"

I suggest she check with the Unemployment office. She asks why. I say that they can help her find work.

"Well, I have a job, but I don't get paid for another three weeks..." and she rambles on and on about the problem with today's society is people like me who abuse the system.

M'kay.

5 comments:

k said...

hahahahahahahahahah

people crack me up. well, on the off chance that I don't want to strangle them, they crack me up.

gotta love retail, eh? you get all kinds.

bronxbt said...

um.. i have some really old nike's with a whole in the toe..

you gonna hook a brudder-frommanudder-mudder up?

giggle

PlazaJen said...

Well, with her style & personality, I'm sure she could make some money the goooood old fashioned way..... :snort:!

Chickie said...

She didn't need money for a heating bill. Her crack pipe was obviously running empty.

Adrianne said...

There aren't many jobs that only pay once a month, not even governmen jobs. Sounds like she's the one abusing the system, I'm sure granny didn't send her out either.

People do strange things for strange reasons. I'm with chickie on what she really wanted money for.

Love you...