Tuesday, December 06, 2005

three things...

Thanks to Jen I have started taking a trip down memory lane (which is actually a nice diversion from where my mind was wanting to wander to...).

She listed five things she longed for as a child for Christmas but never got. So, what are my top five things (although I really can't think of five, maybe I'll list my top three instead)? Well, let me list them, starting with:

#3- I, too, always wanted a pool. Our next door neighbors had one and so did the people across the street. The woman next door allowed us to come over and use their pool something like three times in the many, many years of living next door. The people across the street allowed us to come over more often, but then we stopped talking to their daughters so...there went that. I always thought we had the best backyard for a pool, in ground. My parents understood that with a pool came a lot of work (something I have since learned).

#2- Random silly toys, none of which come to mind right this very minute. But I remember flipping through the "wish book" from Sears and marking things left and right. Ah, yes, the battery operated car. Now, I was too big for them when they came out, but I dreamed of owning one. I complained that all the best toys were not around when I was small enough to enjoy them (however, I was never "small" enough since I was a tall kid). I still think that kids today have better toys then when I was a kid...but I could keep myself busy with my Breyer horses for HOURS!

#1- A real, live horse. I grew up at the barn, I was known as a barn rat by many. I so wanted to have my own horse. I was allowed to ride as much as I wanted, as long as I did the chores at the barn, mucking stalls, feeding the horses in the evenings certain nights of the weekend. I did it too. But again with a horse came money and I didn't understand at the time. It was not a one time expense, but monthly. I suppose I should consider myself lucky for getting to have as much access as I did to both TJ and Dexter as I did. I still want a horse someday.

which leads me to a question:

When a friend dies, is it okay to want to name your next pet after them? Just curious really...

8 comments:

Jack K. said...

For you to ask the questions suggests to me that they were whispering in your spiritual ear.

Frank would love it.

Love,

Dad

PS. Horses are a little to big for a house pet, particularly in Portland, OR

Chickie said...

I think it's okay to recycle someone's name for your pet. But I wouldn't name a kid after a pet.

k said...

hehe, didn't you already do that once? (Bob)

I think it's a splendid idea! Now...what sort of furkid are you planning on adding to your family?

:D

shannon said...

Dad- I agree that Frank probably was whispering in my ear about that one.

Chickie- Agreed, naming a human kid after a deceased pet seems...odd?

Kerri- No, Bob was just Bob because we loved the name.

Thanks to everyone who has offered their shoulders, cyber or real, to lean on!

Adrianne said...

I think it would be neat to name a pet after a good friend, I think they would love the honor.

Anonymous said...

It's kind of a long story, but Ray plans on me dying first, and when that happens, he's going to go find a newborn litter of pups, claim one as his own, and fulfill my wish. I've always said that when I die, I want to come back as one of my dogs. It's one of the most romantic things he's ever told me.

So, would Frank like it if you named your next pet after him? I think so.

(If Ray ever raises his hand to that future-puppy-me the way he occasionally does our current dogs, though, you betcha I'll bite that hand!!!)

Sorry, got a little off-topic.

I, too, always wanted a horse, and a pool, and all the cool toys. Do you know, having been a pre-teen and young-teen in the 80s, I NEVER had a Cabbage Patch Doll???

bronxbt said...

Shannon,

First of all, FRANK rocks as a pet name. I knew a FRANK in College in Seattle, an old, rickety, old bastard of a cat with such attitude and spunk. You could almost see the cigarette hanging outta his mouth, and cute lil' whiskers and lips curling around a phrase like, "Yew tink 'dats a RAT? I got a rat story for ya fer sure.....!"

I've lost a lot of friends in my life due to an ugly past, and other assorted issues. Remember them any damn way you can. that's all they need to know.

Regarding Christmas gifts, I always wanted a pony ride... not a pony - but just a ride. Oh well, guess that's part of why I'm so screwed up. Giggle.

I wanna see your Mexico Pics too! Do share upon your safe return sweetie.

bye!
~ Bronxbt

FemaleCSGradStudent said...

Ah, the Sears Catalog. I wanted the rock tumbler.

I think in America you can name a pet after a person, especially if it's someone as cool as Frank is.

In other countries, it's very insulting. Someone told me a story once about a couple who traveled often to South America and was assisted by the same guide. One year, they came to visit, and told them they named their dog after them. He was very angry.

Have fun in Mexico. I'll see you when you get back.