Friday, December 23, 2005

the art of being "on"

I work retail. It has been a tough holiday season. Not too many people have been buying this month. The only reasons I can come up with are the following:

1. due to Mother Nature's rearing of her head people have donated money to various causes, leaving them tapped out.

2. internet (don't need to say anything else for this one).

3. people actually got out throughout the year and shopped (not really thinking this, but didn't have anything else for a #3)

So when people come into my store, I am on. I am smiling and joking and just being ON. I'm trying to make it fun to be in my store. I want people to feel happy as I take their money. Some people make it easy. They are also "on" and happy and lively so you just want to join in the fun. Others, it's energy zapping. It's nearing the end of the holiday season and I have to admit I'm feeling rather tired. It's been a pretty even ratio of "on" people verses energy zapping, but it's still being on my feet and interacting often.

My goal, is to make everyone feel as though they are the most important person in the world. And, in our store, they are. It's just when I am way out numbered by people that this gets hard. So if I seem a bit grumpy right after work, please understand...I'm tired of being "on".

6 comments:

k said...

I think all your shoppers have come south for the season. I've just gotten home from an 11 hour day at work...6 registers open, lines in each going halfway through the store.

Seems like shoes though aren't really the tops on gift lists (not that I wouldn't love to recieve shoes--just that they are difficult to buy for other folks...)...do you do Gift Cards or the like? I bet the candy shop is doing gangbusters!

anyway. must lose consciousness soon...

shannon said...

You would be surprised at how many people actually do buy shoes for others during this time. We do gift certificates, but mainly people have been told what style and size to go get and what color.

As for the Candy store...we closed that and openned a kids clog store that is doing really really well.

PlazaJen said...

hang in there... vacation's on the horizon, and you won't have to be "on" for anyone but you & family - and they understand best when you have to let your frozen smile just thaw & fall onto the floor! I've declared 12/25 a day of sleep. (and, not being "on" for anybody.)

bronxbt said...

shan - you are the bomb. it's people like you during the holiday season that just amaze me.

Kerri? All those damned shoppers where up north in my area too.. clocked how much time I spent in stores today versus traffic: 4.35 hours out and about... 42 minutes in stores shopping.. the rest? *whimper* hold me* IN TRAFFIC!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH.

anyway, love ya all. I'm out until after the fat man's day on Sun.

cheers!

shannon said...

Jen- LOVE the declaration! We are having friends over, but I've already told them pj's are allowed. I'll be wearing mine!!

Bronxbt- From what I've heard, traffic's a bitch. I'm glad I'm a bus girl!!! I have one more thing for Kev to find, but I think I'm going to make him something (no, no knitting...)

Chickie said...

I feel your pain. The season will end soon!