Saturday, November 12, 2005

i'm in jill's pants...

For those of you who don't know who Jill is, that may come as a shock...come to think of it for those who do know who Jill is it may come as a shock as well but for completely different reasons.

I'm having the internal debate "do I expand on those simple words or do I let people think it's some sick and twisted thing?"

Okay, I'll expand...

A few weeks ago Jill, whom you all may know as one of my favorite people in my life, anyway, Jill mentioned that she had some jeans that she just wasn't wearing anymore and because the last pair (I call them the fluke jeans) I bought at the Gap on sale *gasp!!* were marked a size 6 I should try the jeans she wasn't wearing. Yeah, Jill varies between a size 4 and 6. There ain't no way in hell my ass is going to fit in her old jeans...or so I thought.

After our 3 mile walk home from yoga a couple of weeks ago I decided it was time for me to humiliate myself and try them for the sake of trying. I ended up leaving with a pair of black pants as well as a pair of pale blue capris and the jeans. Now, the other two pairs are a bit smaller than the jeans and I don't quite fit as comfortably in them, BUT Jill told me to take them in case I do end up losing anymore weight. I wouldn't mind toning my abs up, but yeah, crunches don't happen in my world and I've read that to get the firm abs you actually need to do reverse crunches (meaning you lift your legs and bum instead of your chest). However, I agree with a different article I read about the key to the flat tummy (not that I want rock hard, flat, six pack abs, but...) the key, is cardio. If you do crunches and sit ups and what nots you are simply building the muscle behind the fat and instead of flattening the fat is going to start looking bigger. So, our hiking as well as my yoga are key.

(how is that for digression?!)

I ended up getting my booty into the real size 6 jeans and comfortably so too. WHAT? I'm not a 6. I've never been a 6. I mean 6 is my favorite number, but to WEAR that size?!?! That's unheard of. I'm not one of "them"!!! I still view myself as the woman who is a size 14/16 (I really needed to make the jump but never allowed myself to so instead I looked like a sausage stuffed into her casings if you will.)

So, this morning as I sit here typing this entry, drinking my latte...

I'm in Jill's pants.

9 comments:

Jack K. said...

I was beginning to wonder. Thanks for clarifying.

How sweet it is to reach a goal that you might once have thought was unobtainable. I'm pleased that you are finally able to wear the size 6. Who knows a little more yoga and a lot more hiking and the other pants will fit comfortably. Just don't go so far as to lose so much that you disappear. I would miss you terribly.

I'm in the classroom right now and everyone has gone to lunch. I am not as pleased with this pumpernickel bread as I would like to be. It's the carroway (sp) seeds.

Our best to you all.

Dad

Persico said...

It's really strange... I want to just call you up and scream, "I'm so proud of you! I knew you could do it!" But that would just be weird for a couple of reasons.

1) I don't know you, except what you type on here.
2) I think it would be borderline Single White Female if I actually did do it.

Conclusion: I'm happy that you are in Jill's pants.

shannon said...

Thanks Dad...

And you too Shari. The funny thing is, I never really thought I'd ever be in Jill's pants! It's kind of out of the blue and I'm still not sure how to cope with it all...

Adrianne said...

Congrats Sis! Now take a deep breath, close your eyes, and get rid of the mental image of you being the 14/16 gal. You have worked hard to earn the size you are now. You completly and totaly deserve to feel good about the size change. If it wasn't for the fact you are taller than I am, we could actually trade clothes.

k said...

sweet! I demand photos of the hot new bod in the swanky new, albeit TINY clothes! :D You're the
hero-y-ist!

Anonymous said...

Huge congrats to you, from someone who has lived her life in that 14/16 (and sometimes bigger) size range! I'm envious, and happy for you, all at the same time!

For the record, I envy your motivation as much as the results, because I've found that I am too lazy and too addicted to good food to get to where you are.

Again, congrats! now, like adrianne, said, comes the mental exercises to get 14/16 you out of your self-image, and be who you are NOW!

shannon said...

It's funny. I can see myself as the size I am when I wear my green lounge pants, but put me in real clothing and it gets a bit skewed. I'm working on it though. Thanks for the support!

Anonymous said...

You ARE the biggest loser! I'm so proud of you and very very jealous!

Anonymous said...

Shanny, good for your, Sista!!!
I am proud of you. I don't see it happening for me, but maybe some day. Can't wait to see you in your bikini in Mexico. Love, Mamasita