Thursday, October 20, 2005

my own personal hell

Back when Kevin was moving in with me, prior to getting married (don't judge!) I spent an evening with a good friend who was visiting from Tennessee writing a decree. This decree stated that he was never to play any Bob Dylan while I was in the apartment, in the car, etc. He was, and still is, very aware of my dislike of dear old Bob. He understands and therefore does not play any of his music (which is what I hear most people call the sounds Bob produces) when I am around. WHY does the local radio station I listen to at work NOT understand this decree? I mean, COME ON!!! His voice to me is like the sound metal makes when it rubs against another metal object, or when you scrape your teeth on the tines of the fork....gagghghh! Can not stand that sound, I can not stand the sound that Bob emits and you can't make me!

I just got done trying to ignore "Like a Rolling Stone" by dear old Bob. I couldn't tune it out, I couldn't turn it off, I just had to suffer. I have a hard time changing the station when I have customers in the store. And when said customers are HUMMING ALONG it makes it worse. I imagine myself having a royal freak out and screaming at them wildly while doing everything in my power to get to the radio or remote control so I may in fact change the station. But I don't ever do it. One of these days Alice...

When I was visiting my sister in LA I got a taste of XM radio. Man, I want! We saw the little do-dad you use to transmit it to your car, body, house at Target. Only $50...not bad. Then Kev said, "you do know you have to subscribe to it, don't you?" Yes, dear, I do know. I've not looked into how much it costs, but boy I can only imagine radio at work with NO commercials, NO repeats...sigh.

4 comments:

Jack K. said...

See if you can get sky.fm on your computer. I get it through iTunes. It is nothing but smooth jazz. I know, after awhile it all sounds alike. But, it is soothing and non-invasive.

You must have gotten the anti-Dylan gene from someone else in the family.

Love,

Dad

FemaleCSGradStudent said...

iPod shuffle: $100
Podcasts from clever people and unsigned artists: Free (woxy.com)
Commercial-free music on the bus: priceless.

Anonymous said...

CDs, my dear. CDs.

shannon said...

With a three disc changer that sometimes (<---note, I was trying to put that word in italics) works, cd's annoy me too.

iPod shuffle, not a bad idea, but I really want something I can hook into the work stereo in the end.

Smooth jazz, not so much really. It tends to lull me to sleep.

Man, let me just be all negative and mean. I'm sorry. I do thank you three for your suggestions. I just researched it and for a three year contract you pay $9.99 a month! It's crazy!!!