Wednesday, August 17, 2005

memories...

Usually on Wednesdays Jill and I board the #15 bus and head over to Diana's for yoga. Today Diana is out of town so I will be going home to practice alone (unless I speak with Jill and we decide to get together). Although it will prove to be tricky with the 70 lb dog and the 18 lb cat trying to get into the act...

Anyway, at the end of the practice we go to a resting place called
Savasana. As we lay there reflecting on our practice Diana will calmly talk our minds to a restful place as well. She starts at the feet and works her way up our bodies talking about relaxing and letting go of any tensions we still may feel. This takes me back to a time when I was little.

I couldn't sleep. I would be restless and sleepless. Dad would come in and do the "relaxation thing" to help me calm down and find peace in my mind. I realize now he was beginning me on my journey into the world of yoga. He would calmly speak of my breathing and slowing it down to a quiet place. The he would tell me to relax my feet, legs, etc...until I felt so calm and quiet that I honestly felt like I couldn't move a muscle. I'd try, but nothing would move. I'd finally drift off to sleep as Dad's voice would sooth me.

I still yearn for a recording of my Dad doing the "relaxation thing."

2 comments:

Jack K. said...

My dearest Shannon, I will endeavor to use this marvelous computer device to replicate the relaxation "exercise".

Love,

Dad

Adrianne said...

Dad taught me a little of how to do that. I remember doing that for you at least once when they went out for the evening. It worked, it did take a little longer though.