Wednesday, August 03, 2005

about being married to kevin

9 years ago I met Kevin. Actually it was about 9 years and one month by now, but who's counting? I saw him across the table during a meeting at my new job. I'd only been there a few weeks, he'd been there a month. His first thought of me was, "damn, she asks a lot of questions." And my first thought about him was, "he's really cute, but so not my type." 9 years later we are still together and have been married for five of those years.

We don't agree on certain things in life. I don't understand his obsession with video games (although I understand they are an outlet for him much as sewing is an outlet for me I just don't understand why one would do something that doesn't produce anything but sore thumbs and dry eyes). He has no clue as to why I obsess about clothing I am either going to wear the next day or the next month (but he offers cute suggestions for shoes every once in a while).

We joke that we really don't feel like marriage is work for us. The thing is, it doesn't feel like work. Sure we have our moments of annoyance (as in, why in the hell doesn't he put his damn cereal bowls in the dishwasher, or even the sink? Why must he leave them on the computer desk?) and he probably is driven crazy by my shoes that are left out (I try to keep them picked up and those that I adore and don't want to donate to Josie as a chew toy I do keep put in their boxes...btw she's not eaten a pair of shoes in a long time...knock on wood).

I know he was annoyed when I insisted that we buy an entire fresh pineapple. He said, "I don't really like pineapple. Are you really going to want to eat that entire thing by yourself?" I have been making a dent and honestly, he likes fresh pineapple much more than that stuff in a can.

But the greatest thing is, we can appreciate our differences. We get pissed off at each other and we tell each other WHY. We don't really scream, but we can always tell when the other is annoyed. In the past I've had to tell him to speak his thoughts because I wasn't hearing his mind. Now, he will tell me without being prompted. I think this is a huge step for us. I love not having to try to read his mind nor ask him to share what he's thinking.

I am rather proud of us and our relationship. We once had someone who was checking out our purchases at Cost Co say, "you two seem like you have a lot of fun together." We looked at each other and started laughing...he was right, we do have a lot of fun together. That's what it is all about.

Namaste

4 comments:

Jack K. said...

You two are so cool and blessed. I am proud of you both. Thanks for deciding to be a part of my life.

Love,

Dad

FemaleCSGradStudent said...

This is the positive sort of post I really needed on an otherwise gloomy day. There are just so many sad stories in the world. It's nice that you've been able to give me a happy one.

Many thanks.

Amanda said...

Aw Shanny, that's so nice to hear. I love being surrounded by couples who really know how to love and appreciate one another.

Adrianne said...

I'm so happy to hear that you two are so happy together. Don't ever forget why you fell in love and decided to marry. You two are truely blessed and so are those whose lives you touch. Continue in love and friendship.