Sunday, July 24, 2005

today

We decided to go to Fryes (aka Geek City USA). We jumped in the car and whose little face should we see peering at us, longingly, through the front window but Josie. I looked at Kev, who looked back at me. I told him I wished we could take her with. He said "LET'S!" The road to the store goes right by one of the best dog parks (the 2.5 acres) and so I jumped out of the car, got on her collar, grabbed her leash and off we went.

After walking the park a few times we decided it was time to head to the store. On our way through the parking lot there was a woman with her daughter. Her daughter was laid out on the rock drive, having just had a seizure. We get to the car. I look at Kev and tell him I have to go see if the woman needs any help. I sit and chat with both the mother and daughter and BOOM she goes into a grand mal. I just sit there with her mom until she is out of it, it lasted maybe 20 seconds. As soon as the daughter was coming to and talking with us we were hopeful about getting her up and in the car. No going. She couldn't really feel her legs. Her mother called the EMT's and two physicians came up as well. At that point I felt she had it under control and bid my farewell. I told the daughter I wished we could have met under different circumstances, but wished her well.

At Fryes I stayed in the car with Josie so we could have the A/C on. I read a book my Dad sent me as I waited for Kev to finish up inside. We joked that it really was for the best that I stayed outside with Josie. If I'd gone in he'd have felt rushed to get in and get out. As it was, he mulled around a bit and I just sat with my girl reading. He said he felt badly for the guys in the store with their girlfriends who he overheard trying to explain WHY they "needed" x, y and z. He said he thought, "man, leave her out in the car...don't try to explain..." We joked about it together. Heck, I'm glad I stayed in the car with Josie. I got to watch my beautiful dog observe the world around her.

Now I'm waiting for Kev to finish getting ready so we can go pick up Jill and she and I can take him to work before running around together. It's funny because she had the idea last night to run around with me and when I called her this morning to see if she wanted to do just that she started laughing and told me her story of telling Mark if we went to yoga we could run around together after...I told her I wasn't going to yoga but we could still run around. :) I felt like sleeping in and spending the morning with Kev. It was very very nice.

2 comments:

Jack K. said...

You had a marvelous day. You spent time with Kevin and Josie, gave solace to some folks who appreciated it, and got to read more of that wonderful book.

While you have not had a Reiki attunement, you did share your positive energy with a young lady and her mother. Did you, by any chance, touch either of them? Sometimes just holding a hand or placing an arm around a shoulder can help in the transfer of loving, healing energy.

Thank you for sharing this part of a day in your life. You serve well.

Love,

Dad

shannon said...

I did happen to hold the girls hand as well as rub her head when I was standing with her mother. I did rub her mom's back as I was saying goodbye...

I hope they found comfort in those touches.