Monday, July 04, 2005

oh how i loathe fireworks

We got home from a long hike (at one point we took our hike books author's suggestion and took the "scramble" up the unmarked trail to the upper falls trail...it's called .2 miles of straight up for about a 400' gain in elevation ALL AT ONCE) and decided we needed to go get some grub to grill. As we turned onto our street we looked in the garage of our newer neighbors and saw a card table FULL of fireworks. I HATE FIREWORKS!

Josie's been doing the bark, pace, pant thing for a little while now and we just have to ignore her. She calms down faster than if we say anything to her, but it's hard to NOT cuddle her and tell her it will be okay. I mean, she's a dog and doesn't speak english and wouldn't understand those words at all. However, I do wish she'd chill the hell out. I also wish the neighbors wouldn't have bought out the entire fireworks booth, but that didn't happen either!

I see Tylenol in my future and possibly ear plugs...

3 comments:

k said...

I know you know this, but try to remember that Josie is also picking up on your frustration and irritation; some of her fear and restlessness might be a result of the stress you are feeling.

We are lucky, I guess, to have always lived places where fireworks are illegal--our muttleys are only mildly annoyed by the distant rumble of the larger displays.

Good luck!

shannon said...

I do remember, but honestly I'm not acting frustrated. I'm just reading and sitting in a loud room (listening to Radiohead...the only band that she will sit calmly through) while Kev sits in the bedroom listening to the explosions. He wanted to play a game, but it was "too loud" in here. When he tried to turn down the stereo I told him to just go back to the bedroom that Josie and I liked the loud. :)

Jack K. said...

Perhaps Josie is worried about you and your dislike of fireworks. I think I can remember a time at Ft. Leavenworth when we all went to see the fireworks display. If I remember correctly, you were not too enamored of them then either.

You might want to ignore your father and resort to some yoga. Not yogurt. I do know the difference. Using the music to help you get to your internal "quiet" space is a good idea. You might also want to use the headphones to keep the music in your head. Kevin might not be into radiohead. You might even want to delete this comment. Go ahead. I won't mind. I'm about to do a Reiki session to begin my day. I will send you some of the energy.

I love you.

Dad