Wednesday, June 22, 2005

whole lot less

The month is January. We are watching the very last episode of The Biggest Loser Kev looks over at me as we marvel at how wonderful these people look. He says, "I challenge you." I look back at him and say, "Oh yeah?" "Yes, we need to see who can be the biggest loser in this house," he states with authority. I'd already been thinking of this as an idea so I say, "Bring. It. On."

January 10, 2005 our first weigh in date. Not a pretty date at all. The numbers, staggering. We had no idea we were as heavy as we were. I mean we had a pretty good idea we were getting quite big and it didn't thrill us, but until we watched that show, we had no motivation.

Today, we are a combined 60 pounds lighter. The end of the official competition was the Monday prior to our departure to Texas. Kev won by 3%. He got his Nintendo DS because he won. The sweetest thing he said as I gave him his prize was, "But I'm proud of you too and you deserve something because you did really well."

I'm off to Timbuk2 to find Mamma a bag for the gym (well, the room at my friend Shannon's apt complex that has work out machines). I don't have a good bag for that purpose. Shannon and I decided that to keep me on the losing end (Even though I've lost 25lbs, I still have about 10 I'd like to drop) and to get her started we needed to have a buddy. She's got the equipment, I have the motivation for both of us (which actually she sounds quite motivated when we talk about doing it...we just mentioned it last week Thursday and she brought it up a few days later in an email to me that after her parents are here this weekend, we're starting).

I'm proud of Kev and myself for losing the weight. I'm even prouder to be able to say we didn't do the South Beach Diet (wow, I almost said South Park Diet) , we didn't starve, we didn't NOT eat things we love...

We ate in moderation, we exercised (be it weights and cardio, like myself, or hiking and cardio like Kev). We kept ourselves motivated with the knowledge that we would both be winners in the grand scheme of things. We realize this is a lifestyle change, not just a for now diet. We can't go back to our eating habits, we can't eat garbage, we can't eat late at night, etc. But we do allow ourselves a few splurges here and there. Mmmmm, Delta Cafe....

We didn't tell anyone, well hardly anyone. We didn't tell our parents because we wanted to see their jaws drop. Peggy about lost it when we got off the plane and approached her. She asked where half of us went. My folks were quite proud and I got an email from my mom saying she was quite motivated by our change of life. We are thrilled to have that kind of impact on our families. His Dad and Kathy still haven't seen us, but are heading this way soon so...

The fabulous thing, there are customers who will come in and will say that I've become their motivation. They look at me and the look of awe is on their faces. I keep telling them it really is easy, and you know what? IT IS! If anyone wants to know more in depth what we've done, please ask. I'm always willing to share!!!

2 comments:

k said...

I *KNEW* you were lookin skinny! Congrats, and great job!!
Easy? I doubt it. So the next post should be your tactics. :) I think I am considering the Arizona Summer my biggest obstacle. It's too hot to move outside. I have a gym membership, but my schedule is so jacked that I never go. I'd love to start on menu adjustments, so any clues would be welcomed. :D I look forward to hearing all about it!

Jack K. said...

You look marvelous!! To coin a phrase once popular on SNL. Your mother and I were so proud of such an important accomplishment for both of you. Your yoga has also been a help. Moderation is the key.

I still think the orignal wager should be modified just a bit. If the "winner" gains back more than 10 pounds then the prize goes to the other party for a 30-60 day period. Then weigh again and see who gets to keep it. Just a thought. Besides, I already told Kevin about the change.

You are an inspiration to lots of people, including me.

Love 'ya,

Dad