Sunday, December 14, 2008

snow day

I got up this morning with the intention of driving to our store at a mall in Hillsboro. It's on the other side of the city from where I live so it takes a little time. My co-worker was supposed to come and pick me up, but after I woke and saw the snow I was not surprised by her call asking me and my four wheel drive Subie to do the driving. Not a problem.

I called my boss as I got gas because it was really coming down on our side of the city. He said it was not bad out his way (he lives near the store at the mall). Off to my friends house to pick her up. We were driving right along, snow blowing around us, when our visibility dropped drastically. I handed her my phone and asked her to go ahead and call our boss.

He and I spoke, after I've pulled over in preparation for taking her home, and decided to not open today. I then called the mall office and left a voice mail saying as such.

The drive back to her house was not that bad. The snow had seemed to let up a bit in that area, but the roads did feel a little slicker. I popped in, met her husband (who was real nice and easy goin'...I see game nights in our future), smooched on her dog, scritched the two cats ears and called the people who were scheduled to go into work today to tell them to stay home and be safe. My favorite response, "what? I don't have to go to work? That rocks!" I told her happy snow day, but be prepared for work tomorrow.

Of course if it's not cleared up at all, we may end up making that call again.

The drive home from her house was a bit rocky at times, but when I got home I called my parents and thanked Dad for teaching me how to drive in this mess. Now I've got my jammies on (well, at least the lounge pants) and am waiting for our neighbor to text back whether they are coming for tiny pies or not.

I leave you with a site I just walked in on...

No comments: