Wednesday, November 23, 2005

giving thanks and being happy

Right now I am sitting in my quiet house. It is coolish in here, but not cold. There is the slight scent of cheese cake, of which I have two in the oven baking right now. It is a scent that makes me feel all warm inside.

This is the first year we've not hosted "Stragglers Thanksgiving" (perhaps I've mentioned that). It was a bit sad for me earlier, but I'm realizing that there are thanks to be found in that as well. I will not have to rush around like a crazed person tonight cleaning the house in preparation for friends. I will not have to make the potatoes and other things I can do the night before tonight. I simply have to put the berries in tuperware (or the poor girls version, the plastic containers you get at the deli counter with the potato salad), bake two cheese cakes, and run the dishwasher. Done, done and done.

I have spoken with my parents already (what is a holiday bake fest without at least one call home to Mom?) as well as my sister (to ask if she'd received a particular email from Mom...will go into that further when the time is right). Kev has called to check in with me and see if what I'm up to. I've made one call to my friend in Ohio, who is on her way to NY (who has hopefully not slid into a ditch on her snowy drive...no answer so my imagination will work overdrive for a while). I've had a few Mike's Hard Lemonades (will be finishing the last one in the fridge tonight since you can't just drink one...kind of like those damn Lays potato chips, of which I refuse to eat even one).

I'm thinking about posts various friends online have made about what they are thankful for. I am simply thankful for my friends and family and our health. Sometimes the health is an issue, but it helps us keep things in perspective. Life is a precious thing and it's not something that likes to be toyed with. Treat yourself and others well this holiday (and all days).

Be safe.

Give thanks and be happy.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

I am SO DAMN HAPPY you decided to come share Thanksgiving with me. Seriously.

And YAY cheesecake.

See you manana, chica! xoxox

Jack K. said...

I am proud to acknowledge that you have become quite the philosopher. Your messages of hope and love let me know you are doing well on your spiritual journey. There was never any doubt in my mind that you would. It is nice to see the evidence of that.

May peace and love continue to be with you. And it will because you give it so freely.

Love,

Dad

Chickie said...

Have a nice Thanksgiving!