Friday, September 02, 2005

my parents

Every one of my friends who have met my folks tell me how lucky I am. I am beginning to wonder if they think I don't know that... :)

When I was a kid and did something stupid (of course something all kids did) instead of coming down hard on me and spanking me (which was the thing to do in the 70's and early 80's) my dad would look at me with the look of disappointment on his face and simply say, "consider yourself yelled at." Man, nothing was worse for me than to see that look and hear those words. They hit harder than any switch, belt, open hand... And I would think, "man, Dad is disappointed in me...this sucks."

They worked in tandem. Perfectly with each other. Neither one undermining the others authority over my sister and myself. If Mom said no to something Dad was right in line. It got to the point where I didn't need to even go bug the other once that answer was given because I knew it would be the same. Looking back to the kid I was, it was hard. Looking at the person I have become, I understand.

I've always felt a kind of kinship with my Dad. Maybe it is the fact that his birthday is the day before mine, so we got to share that special time. Maybe it is that we are sooooo much alike (which growing up I didn't see but now am blinded by the fact that I truly am, My. Father's. Daughter.). Mom always used to get embarrassed when the three of us would go shopping. I can remember going to the mall and being bored, but at the same time intrigued by being silly and not really caring what other people around me thought. Mom has since gotten in on the act with us, although sadly we don't live close enough to be able to put on the show together all that often.

I am thankful to the two of them for allowing me the opportunity to become who I am today. Their influences played a huge part.

If you are looking for something else to read, go read my father's words. He is an amazing person, always upbeat, always supportive. He has recently decided to share his ideas and thoughts with the world. He has his blog, aptly titled
Things I Have Stumbled Across Along the Way. If you choose to, read his words...

3 comments:

Jack K. said...

Thank you a gazillion times. I feel that special bond that comes from being Libras as well as parent and child. You and your sisters are a blessing to me that I question whether I deserve at times.

By the way the phrase that I remember, and I use it to this day, even in class - "Consider yourself spoken to sternly."

Thanks also for the plug.

Love,

Dad

Adrianne said...

The phrase I always had a hard time with was "What do you think your punishment should be?" As a teenager it was hard to figure out what would be enough of a punishment to fit the crime yet not be too hard to live through and not get anything added to it. It kept me from being to bad....Thanks Dad.

Persico said...

My mom would always get this quiet little whisper of a voice and say, "I think you know how I'm feeling about this and you right now."

I would hang my head in shame.