Thursday, August 11, 2005

my challenge to you

Do you find yourself thinking about things that you wish could have happened differently in your life? You know, playing the game of "what if"?

Do this, write what it is you miss, why you miss it and what you have learned from it.

Example:

I always ponder what life would have been like had I actually applied myself to playing the piano. What did I miss out on? Did I miss out on anything? What did I learn from being the sloth that I was about practicing? Did I only want to play because my big sister, whom I idolized, was playing? Was the desire to play because our mom played when she was our age?

I learned to enjoy music and enjoy doing things, even though playing music wasn't as enjoyable to me as it is for many others...yes, I do still envy friends who can pick up an instrument and just play, but then I remember there are things I can do better than they and the fact they can bring music into my life and I can live vicariously through their hands is fine enough by me.

*end*

So many people I know long for loves of the past. I suggest they take a look at why they loved this person, what happened to make the time with the person end and what did they learned from that particular individual. Did they learn to love with all their heart, making it possible to love the person they are with now more completely? Did they learn to trust again after they thought it was never possible? Did they learn that love is an amazing thing, when it is with the person they were "meant" to be with? It's a writing I've done...it's a healing thing. I suggest you try, if you have those ghosts...

2 comments:

Jack K. said...

You have done it again. You have blown your dear, ole dad away. I never could have said as well. Your comments show you understand what it means to

Serve well!

FemaleCSGradStudent said...

I have the opposite problem. It is not the past which haunts me, but rather the future. I spend little time acknowledging the present. Instead of being in the moment, I focus on future events. I think to myself, "After I pass the prelim, after I get this PhD, after I lose 20 more pounds, after I move from the midwest...THEN I will be happy." And to no surprise, happiness never comes.

Perhaps I will engage in a similar exercise to focus on what makes me happy in this moment. Item #1: Shannon's friendship.