Monday, December 05, 2005

rest in peace dear friend

I woke up to some of the hardest news to swallow this morning. I recieved an email from a woman whom Kevin used to work with when he worked for a man named Frank Orzulak. Chris asked me to call her. I knew exactly what she was going to tell me before I even picked up my phone.

Frank was a man who had gone through two heart transplants in his life. The first heart the doctors said would maybe give him three to five years. He blew that number out of the water and when I first met him was going on year 12, if memory serves me right. The second, his body was not really having any of. He just went in for the surgery about two or three years ago. It'd been an uphill battle for him the whole time.

Yesterday morning, with his family surrounding him (from what Chris tells me) he passed away. He was kind, he was gentle, he was a father, he was my friend.

I met Frank when his oldest daughter came to work for me at the catering department at KU. She and I hit it off immediately and she invited me out to their house for dinner. That was the first of many dinners, with or without her there. Her mother, Marian, and I instantly became friends. She'd call me the mooch, he'd ask when I was coming back out again. We'd all laugh. Sometimes, their family meals were just the two of them and myself. I'd always arrive early enough so I could help finish making whatever it was Marian would be cooking. And when the meal was done, I got my turn behind the sink rinsing dishes and loading the machine.

They took me in like I was one of their own. I felt such a love from them. I have such a love for them.

I knew I'd be getting this call at some point. I think I was just hoping I'd get to see him one last time. But, I also think I knew that the last time I saw him and gave him a kiss goodbye that it was the last one I would give him. I think he knew it too as the tears welled up in his eyes.

Rest in peace dear Frank. I love you!

5 comments:

Jack K. said...

Our hearts and prayers are with you and the Orzulaks. When we are fortunate to be aware of it, we are blessed by knowing our spiritual family. That is the family that may include our biological family, but is much more. I am saddened by the news of Frank's transition and gladdened that you had that special relationship.

Such relationships are what we should all be seeking. Once we find them we can rejoice in the times we are fortunate to be together. We can also rejoice that we had the opporutnity to be together.

Temper your saddness with the joy of the times you "mooched" and were invited back. You have touched them as much as they have touched you. And that is a blessing that no amount of money can buy.

If I haven't said it lately, thank you for being a part of my life.

Love,

Dad

shannon said...

Thank you Dad. I knew you would be a voice that would bring me comfort.

I love you too and am thankful for you.

PlazaJen said...

I'm sorry you lost such a dear friend. :(

Amanda said...

I'm so glad you have such wonderful memories. They'll help you through your grief. Call me if you need anything, sweetie.

k said...

Heya Shanny,
sorry to hear about Mr. Orzulak. I remember you talking so animatedly about the family when we first met--it was obvious how fond you were of them.
as your dad said, try to remember all of the wonderful times you had with Frank; I'm sure he'd prefer you to dwell on those memories.
take care--I'll be thinking of you.